[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Mar 8 21:21:49 UTC 2007

The Cunctator wrote:

>Since when are the different language Wikipedias supposed to defend
>nationalistic or cultural norms?

Since the English Wikipedia folks do JUST THAT, as an example. Why
should there be categories such as
LGBT entertainers, authors, etc. There are no categories for HETERO
authors, actors, etc. Oh, I forgot,
that's a CUTTURAL NORM on the english Wikipedia that we OPENLY DISCUSS
sexual behavior and put
labels on people, whether they like it or not, or whatever or not is
offends others, and then RAM IT DOWN
EVERYONE ELSE'S THROATS.

There's a great example of an open cultural norm on the English
Wikipedia. Putting labels on people prevents you from seeing the real
person beneath and fosters BIAS. Something we should avoid.

In essence, what I am saying here is that the OPENNESS and NPOV
viewpoints are PART OF THE ENGLISH WIKIPEDIA CULTURE. I agree
they are erstwhile concepts and important, but they are very much
European attitudes, and not all cultures embrace them the same way.

>You seem to imply that the NPOV varies from language to language.

Yep. It does.

Jeff