[Foundation-l] Update of Foundation organization

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:14:14 UTC 2007

On 05/03/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> An employee brings minimally as his/her commitment to work 40 hours a week.
> An employee can be told to do what is deemed necessary by the organisation.
> An employee is part of an hierarchy and he/she does not have the option to
> say "Sorry, but like you I am a volunteer".
>
> These are all things that are really relevant differences. Strange that I
> did not have to think hard nor long to come up with just this initial list.
> When I think of it, a professional can be hired to do the things where we do
> not have the volunteers to do these tasks.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

Based on the fact that Wikimedia Foundation has such a large pool of
volunteers, I think the 40 hour week difference makes little
difference. Is there a reason why Wikimedia Foundation can't contract
volunteers (as charity shops do)? Similarly, there is no reason why
the Foundation can't give official positions to volunteers who can be
trusted to work a minimum number of hours a week (with or without a
contract). Such volunteers would be given a job description and be
asked to do things by the Foundation in the way an employee would.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)