[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Job: Volunteer Coordinator

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 15:04:23 UTC 2007

--- Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think to a great degree this is a modern shift; it's becoming less
> and less vital for an organisation to have to be in a major city in
> order to function, especially an organisation which is simply a
> central point for a wide virtual network.

IIRC, something like 70% of communication is non-verbal. Being in close proximity to many
like-minded organizations and representatives from other nations, would therefore be advantageous
to our goal. You simply are not going to find that in St Pete.

As an organization, we have already found that we can accomplish a great deal more with
face-to-face meetings that by using IRC, phones and email. Proximity will increase opportunities
for communication and thus relationship building.

The savings in travel expenses combined with increasing the opportunities to establish strategic
relationships (and funding opportunities) should more than offset the increased cost in rent and
in cost in living increases for staff. Those costs can and should be mitigated for by avoiding
actually having the office in a world city, but just outside it.

But that is a longer term strategy. Right now, I think we should try to make best use of our
current location. Thus the need I expressed to sell St Pete’s / Tampa’s good points and take full
advantage of that. However, I don’t think it would be a good idea, in the long term, to keep the
main office there (an office could continue to be there, just not the main one).

-- mav