[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Job: Volunteer Coordinator

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Mar 2 02:59:21 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was going to suggest a more global-warming-proof location, given
> both sea level rise and hurricane issues for St Petersberg

I believe the sea level rise is scheduled to happen slowly enough that
there will be plenty of time to move, so I assume that's more of a
joke.

But the hurricane issues for St. Petersburg are very serious.  From
what I've read on the matter, St. Pete would be devastated by a direct
hit from a big hurricane.  Low lying, relatively large population,
connected to the rest of Florida mostly by bridges.  It'd be really
bad.

The good thing about hurricanes, as opposed to earthquakes, is that
with proper planning and adequate insurance, losses can be kept to a
minimum.  If the WMF doesn't already have a detailed plan in place,
there are still a few months left to make one.  Anyone in Zephyrhills
got a really big living room and a T1?  If you let me join the fun
I'll bring the chips.

Anthony