[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

Dejan Čabrilo dcabrilo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:05:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 11:40 -0500, Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> My goodness, this email is the very definition of "spin", isn't it?
>
> Philippe

I just want to know if there is anything we can do about the situation
or not. Many of us don't like the new rules. It seems seanw is in
charge. I'm not exactly sure how nor am I sure what gave him the
authority to create the guideline, deop everybody and give ops only to
people who agree with him.

The reason I'm so upset about the channel is that it was rather useful
for me. I got help there, gave help, but we also instituted regional
meetings of wikipedians of former Yugoslavia (which would be impossible
if we didn't go off topic and realize that we share much more in common
than Wikipedia. So now there is 5-6 of us who travel lengthy distances,
for our travelling posibilities, to socialize), it kept our spirits up,
gave us opportunity to vent off, etc.

Then, somebody comes, institutes new rules, and there seems nothing that
we can do about.

All I want is that we keep #wikipedia and #wikipedia-social together.
I'm not against new rules. I'm not against change. But if I am to
embrace the change, I would just like to know whom to turn to give my
input to.

Mailing list obviously doesn't work. Talking about this on #wikipedia
doesn't work either. Our nearly unanimous decision to change the
guideline on the wiki talk page was ignored.

So, once again: tell me how to contribute, and I will. Tell me, from
some position of authority, that what I say makes no difference, and
I'll shut up. Tell me to whom to turn for help.

Thank you,
Dejan Čabrilo