[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

James Forrester jdforrester at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:08:56 UTC 2007

On 20/06/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It has been said that there was some notice on the /topic. That is great..
> realistically who reads it?

Well, if people fail to read it, that's their problem. Its sole
purpose is to inform people about changes to the channel and that
about which it is concerned.

> You mention that there were complaints about
> this channel .. well, there are always people that complain but how relevant
> is that.

The complaints were not minor. #wikipedia was a stain on the
reputation of Wikimedia. It was inevitable that it was going to be
purged of the mess. Please don't brush the very real problems off as
lacking relevance.

Those who have useful input (that means "why not allow xyz, because
...?", not "I don't like these rules, get rid of them!") are welcome
so to do, but this thread doesn't seem to contain much in the way of
the former, I'm afraid.

All IRC decisions are, in the end, my responsibility. Please do not
lambast others who are "further down the chain". Ignorance of the
long-standing power structure for the WMF IRC channels is a little
disappointing, but then, we do try to run things with a very light
hand on the tiller.

Yrs,
--
James D. Forrester