[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:48:39 UTC 2007

Mohamed Magdy wrote (in part):
> Other ideas say that Wikisource project is special somehow that some of
> the languages will never be big enough (text collections, contributors
> etc...) to deserve its own domain or there will never  be enough
> community for it..and because of that they are better placed in one
> place (I don't really see the objection of making new sub-domains or
> wikis, does it cost?)

I am not at all active on Wikisource, and I have no opinion on the topic
in general. However, I'll say just one thing:

The advantage of having smaller communities on one wiki is that there is
then one central watch list and recent changes list. This lets people
monitor vandalism, in many cases even for languages they don't speak.
With a very small community, vandalism can run rampant without anyone
noticing it for long periods of time.

-Rich