[Foundation-l] Inclusion of Wikibooks

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 01:39:16 UTC 2007

--- Ivan Lanin <ivanlanin at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as we
> stick to the "free textbooks contents" context and could attract
> people to contribute, we can use Wikibooks, can't we?

Indeed - Wikitravel is better suited for this type of thing and has an emerging critical mass of
material and contributors (thus having this type of thing on Wikibooks will be naturally
self-limiting). It will be rather natural for them to have better coverage in this area than
Wikibooks.

Given that, and the more strictly educational focus of Wikibooks (compared to Wikitravel), it is
uncertain in my mind if the foundation will continue to allow this type of thing in the future if
a lot of Wikitravel-like content shows up in Wikibooks.

At the very least, any Wikibooks travel guide should focus on the things that Wikitravel does not
seem to intend to do particularly well; have a tour guide that can be used to *learn* about a
city/place *through* visiting it vs simply having fun in a city/place by using a guide that only
superficially concerns itself with teaching about the city/place. In other words, treating a place
as a forum for learning about it vs treating a place as somewhere to get in, eat at, see and get
out.

In short, think of this difference:
Visiting a place as a tourist = Use Wikitravel
Visiting a place on a self-guided field trip = Use a Wikibooks travel guide

-- mav