[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jul 23 11:10:19 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> In the link it says: "Goals for Hardware (June 07 = $1,670,000 capital
> expenditure)" So the budget for non capital expenses is $75.000 * 12 =
> $900.000. The budget for hardware is $1.670.000,-. I fail to understand:
> "Including the capital budget would only make the percentage even lower." To
> me this is plain wrong.
>
> My conclusion is that we spend more on capital expenses then on non-capital
> expenses. My original conclusion was and is that when a partner pays for our
> hosting, bandwidth and servers, it is a good thing. We should welcome more
> offers for all inclusive hosting.

Having someone else pay for everything is great.  Having someone else
offer to host it themselves may or may not be great.  But it is
misleading or outright wrong to say that bandwidth and storage are
"what the bulk of the financial resources of the WMF are spend on."

If you increase the denominator of a fraction, the percentage goes down.

Anthony