[Foundation-l] The average voter and voting systems (was Re: Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:07:51 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here in Australia we use STV for elections to the Australian Senate,
> and we deal with the problem of having to rank very large numbers of
> candidates by using group tickets, the idea being that a voter votes
> for a ticket, and is taken to have ranked the candidates in the order
> that the ticket has set out beforehand. That's probably far too
> complicated for our purposes though.

I won't say it is complicated, because actually it is simpler, letting
the party do your thinking for you. But it definitely is something
that if we ever, or somebody ever, whatever, tried to institute
here, there would be me at the forefront, with the bayonets at
the ready, and barricades raised. We want to make it easier for
the voter to choose, we don't want to let somebody else choose
*for* them.