[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jul 11 18:39:31 UTC 2007

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed, out of curiosity, what is the reason for a sub-country chapter
>>> at all, in contrast to most others? This might be obvious, but it
>>> doesn't seem anyone has said it yet.
>>>
>> One reason is that the United States is a really really really big
>> country.  France is the largest country in the EU.  It's a little
>> smaller than Texas, so if France were an American state (an amusing
>> and unlikely thought) it would be the 3rd largest.
>>
>> Having a "local chapter" including both New York City, Chicago, and
>> Los Angeles doesn't feel very "local".
>>

> Any US-wide chapter would be divided into regions and have local clubs for metro areas. I really
> don't see the point in duplicating overhead when a single legal structure could benefit an entire
> nation.

Given that the Wikimedia Foundation is already US-incorporated, why do
we even need a separate legal structure for a Wikimedia US, as opposed
to having it be an unincorporated body?  The things that I see other
countries' Wikimedia chapters doing that need a legal entity, such as
collecting donations tax-deductibly, liasing with local corporations,
running local servers, etc., are already handled in the US by the main
WMF, so what would the new legal entity do?

-Mark