[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Filip Maljkovic dungodung at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:47:58 UTC 2007

Casey Brown wrote:
> Just for the record, we are doing State-based chapters at the request of the
> Chapters Committee.  We had originally wanted a regional committee, but
> ChapComm strongly suggested simply a state organization (and who were we to
> argue? :P).
>
> Interesting point about the name.  However, the two do indeed overlap, in
> many instances including this one.  Our own article even says that the
> internet TLD .pa is used by Panama *and* Pennsylvania jointly, due to the
> overlap in their names.  I really don't think it is worth changing at this
> moment in time.  After all, there may never be a Wikimedia Panama and it is
> just an abbreviation, no official meaning is given.
>
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Of course. We'll never know whether there is going to be Wikimedia
Panama or not. But that's not exactly my point. ;) As you know,
Wikimedia Canada is something that's not very far away. However, what
will be the abbreviation of Wikimedia California, as I'm sure it will
exist some time in the future? Think of other cases with existing
chapters: Delaware and Illinois. :)

Filip