[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 40, Issue 63

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:58:53 UTC 2007

First off, I meant to say that the homepage is [[meta:Wikimedia
Pennsylvania]], not "Philadelphia". That was an error on my part.

>Well, this is certainly good news. Great thing going, guys. One remark,
>though: I'm not quite sure (future) US chapters should have
>abbreviations that way. When I saw wikimediapa-l, I thought of Wikimedia
>Pakistan (although, PA stands for Panama, the point is the same).
>Because of the two-letter-codes overlapping with the US TLCs, it might
>be wise to introduce something like wikimediaus-pa-l (likewise for the
>IRC channel) or anything else that would make it clear that the TLC
>isn't of a country, but of a US state.

The mailinglist and the IRC chatroom were sort of set up already before we
considered potential overlap. If those two things are easy enough to rename,
I think it would be perfectly fine to do that. It's worth some serious
consideration before we settle on anything final, because any patterns that
we set now could possibly be copied 50 times (assuming all 50 states get a
chapter).

If there are any good suggestions about how, precisely, we should label
things, they would be very welcome.

--Andrew Whitworth