[Foundation-l] Travel policy

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 23:16:01 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, The Uninvited Co., Inc <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:

> <<<Jimbo wrote:
>
> I do not agree with this reasoning.  If it were legally possible (and
> it is not) I would like to see the possibility for board members
> to get at least a small paycheck  (10,000 euros per year or similar).
>
> I think that board diversity is an important goal.  And the practical
> reality is that serving on the board of the foundation takes up quite
> a bit of time and energy for all of us, and that is not likely to
> change.  Reimbursement of board expenses is quite important to
> ensuring that people are able to serve without their service being a
> financial burden.
> >>>

> I don't believe that it is wise to attempt to remunerate board members
> through liberalization of travel policy.  There are a number of problems
> with this even if you accept that some means of remunerating board
> members is necessary.  The largest problem with doing so is fairness and
> parity: Some board members will gain more than others.  Those who travel
> more, those who are more willing to push the edges of policy, and those
> whose situation permits them to claim the greatest expenses will benefit
> the most.  I also believe that such policy works at cross purposes with
> the board's mandate to control costs.  How can someone control costs and
> yet seek to remunerate themselves through the travel policy at the same
> time?

I disagree with your concept of fairness and parity. Giving $10000 to Bill
Gates is not equivalent to giving $10000 to me.

I think the better conceptualization of fairness is the one drafted below:
"I don't mean that board members should get any financial benefit, but they
should not have to bear expenses because they are board members."

In other words, we should have [[need-blind admission]] to the Wikimedia
Foundation board.