[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:44:44 UTC 2007

(preface: i know this is not your position.)

But that's just it, why should we be outside the norm of American
charitable boards? Ok yeah, we have some differences, collaborative
wiki, web 2.0, etc. etc. It's still a board, and boards have certain
requirements to be run effectively, and one of those is the financial
independence of the board members from the organization they serve.

Think of reimbursement as the foundation as a corporate entity buying
things.  You have to go to Tapei. The foundation purchases the
ticket, as you are a board member. They purchase your hotel room.
Those are expenses inherent in the travel. The foundation does NOT
purchase your child care. The foundation does NOT purchase your
electric bills while you are away, or your pet feeding expenses, or
your family member's lunch budgets. Those are not the purview of the
foundation as an entity. Only getting you to the destination, giving
you a place there to stay and conduct your business, and getting you
back home. Child care has nothing to do with that.

If dependent reimbursement is given out as a benefit or gift to the
board, rather than a staple of function, that's something completely
different. But lets be perfectly honest: there's no evidence that the
foundation is in a financial position to be giving benefits and gifts
like that,.

-Dan Rosenthal