[Foundation-l] Election criteria (was, will the Board accept the election result?)

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:46:58 UTC 2007

Hoi,
You cleanly separate issues;

   - According to the current rules Danny is eligible to stand as a
   candidate
   - Should the rules for admission for candidature be changed
   - What can be done in practice during the elections

Danny is eligible to stand as a candidate according to the current rules, I
never denied this. I have and do question his fitness to become a board
member, I stand by that. What I have done is ask Danny to explain why he
stands vis a vis the arguments why it is not good for an ex employee to
stand.

Yes, the rules for admission should change. WMF personnel and people who
were employed by the WMF in the last two years should not be allowed to
stand for the position of board member.

The appreciation of the automated mailing to get the votes out is
distressingly different. It runs the whole gamut from people removing the
option to mail them to people endorsing it because it is good when more
people vote to people who see it as a late attempt to give more influence to
what some even call the American Wikipedia. It is distressing because it did
and does polarise the point of views. For me it removed my hesitation to
write again why Danny is imho not the right man for this function.

Having said all that, the current proceedings of this election do reflect
lessons learnt. I hope that what lessons there are to be learned from this
election will find its way in the next elections. I would welcome it when
Jimmy's suggestion to have the WMF send an e-mail at the end of the
elections to those that have not voted on all projects will be part of it. I
hope and expect that this is the last time that a person sends e-mails
scripting against the database for his own good reasons.

Thanks,
     GerardM