[Foundation-l] Travel Policy

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 9 13:26:45 UTC 2007

Luna wrote:
> I am most definitely not a lawyer, and I may not be reading this with a
> critical eye, but at first glance, it seems reasonable enough. In
> particular, spelling out a few things NOT covered, or the workings when
> combining business and personal travel, would seem to work best in advance.
>
> I notice the designated recipient of expense reports doesn't seem to be
> specified; is this normal? The policy also doesn't seem to say who (if
> anyone) is in charge of deciding which charges to reimburse, or how to
> handle borderline cases. Aside from laying a basic groundwork, that would
> seem to be the other major issue to address -- unless this has been handled,
> previously, in which case please do excuse my badgering.
>
> Other than that, thanks for keeping us posted.
>
> -Luna

Hi Luna,

Jumping in a bit late on this but .. yes, normally in my experience the
recipient of expense reports isn't specified inside the policy itself.
That's not a policy-level item it's a practices-level item, if you
follow me.

Re who handles borderline cases, generally I would say they would follow
a normal escalation pattern within the office. Ultimately, in extremely
rare cases, a borderline case might be so controversial that it would
require a clarification or rewrite of the policy itself. That would be
board-level work.

I agree with Florence below - I think we should live with this for a
little while, then see if it needs revising....

Thanks,
Sue