[Foundation-l] Travel Policy

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 09:25:15 UTC 2007

Luna wrote:
> I am most definitely not a lawyer, and I may not be reading this with a
> critical eye, but at first glance, it seems reasonable enough. In
> particular, spelling out a few things NOT covered, or the workings when
> combining business and personal travel, would seem to work best in advance.
>
> I notice the designated recipient of expense reports doesn't seem to be
> specified; is this normal? The policy also doesn't seem to say who (if
> anyone) is in charge of deciding which charges to reimburse, or how to
> handle borderline cases.

Hi

Recipiendary is COO.
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:COO_-_Carolyn_Doran/COO_job_description)

In particular, the following lines are related to the situation:

COO

II. Responsibilities
1. Management and administration
a. Develop and administer operational administrative policies.

III. Fiscal
a. Ensure effective audit trails.
b. Approve expenditures.
c. Provide for proper fiscal record-keeping and reporting.

IV. Personnel
a. Administer board-approved personnel polices.

COO takes decisions according to the travel policies. In case of
borderline cases, she can take upon herself to make certain decisions,
and/or report to notify an unclarity in the policy requiring fix, and/or
request a decision to be taken by the chair or by the board if she does
not want to take the decision herself

It is also her responsability to report any case of abuse should she see
one.

Note that she has the option of
* reimbursing, then reporting that there is a bordering case or
* not reimbursing and requesting clarification first

Practically, until now, both cases happened.

Full reading of the policy indicates that report and clarification
should normally be asked either from the ED or from the chair.

Aside from laying a basic groundwork, that would
> seem to be the other major issue to address -- unless this has been handled,
> previously, in which case please do excuse my badgering.

You were correct to ask :-)

ant

> Other than that, thanks for keeping us posted.

thank you for the feedback