[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 6 17:21:31 UTC 2007

White Cat wrote:

>The Judge is legally binded to follow anything we demand as per
>international treaties.

:-D , :-D , :-D , ROTFL

>This isn't a matter of tradition but a matter of law. Berne Convention
>dictates that US copyright law has complete jurisdiction in every country
>that signed it. What is copyrighted in the US is copyrighted elsewhere based
>on US text/law not based on an unofficial translation.
>
>Of course the details of the convention is quite complex. But in a nutshell
>the judge is required to accept how I copyright my work as is.

This is woefully ignorant.  Since you have invoked the Berne convention,
where does it say that only the English language version of the
Convention is valid.  The United States was later than most countries to
ratify the Berne Convention.  If anything, that ratification forced the
US to become more compliant with international standards.  It also had
the effect of making sure that what was already copyright in other
countries would also be copyright in other countries.  It outlawed such
practices as making registration a pre-condition to copyright, or the
need to have a US edition printed within 30 days of original publication.

Ec