[Foundation-l] for the future...

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:41:39 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:
> instead of having such notification as part of the standard email yes/no
> option, create a separate option saying "Allow the Wikimedia Foundation to
> notify me of important events (only used once or twice annually)", or
> something like it.

This seems like the best solution to me. I'm already aware of such
events, and most editors are probably not interested in the Foundation
in the background beyond, well, editing. This is particularly true
considering that such events are common: Wikimania, fund raisers,
board elections, steward elections, local arbitration committee
elections, et cetera.

Consider the site notices, for example. Originally intended for
similar important announcements, they now regularly announce routine
events like arbitration committee elections. If special:emailuser is
routinely used in this manner, I'd like the option to disable
notifications and keep the email feature for users who actually need
to contact me.

Yours cordially,
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)