[Foundation-l] for the future...

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:10:07 UTC 2007

(This is my personal opinion and does not reflect that of the election
committee, etc, etc.)

On 7/3/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org > wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Jimmy Wales < jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems pretty clear to me that it would be reasonable for the
> > Foundation to send out an official election reminder by email in all
> > languages (or as many as we can muster) next time around.  Thoughts?
> >
> Sounds reasonable.  If it was done by the Foundation officially I
> don't think I would have had a problem with it.  Note the privacy
> policy specifically says that "The email address may be used by the
> Wikimedia Foundation to communicate with users on a wider scale."

I was about to suggest the same thing, but technically slightly different;
instead of having such notification as part of the standard email yes/no
option, create a separate option saying "Allow the Wikimedia Foundation to
notify me of important events (only used once or twice annually)", or
something like it. It should, however, be quite clear that you will not get
a lot of emails from this feature, and that it should only be used in
"emergencies" (in lack of a better word).

This would allow people to choose to receive notifications, but not be
emailed by other members, or to be emailed by other members but not receive
notifications.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by