[Foundation-l] for the future...

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:37:07 UTC 2007

> What is wrong with a very low traffic opt-in mailing list called
> "Announcement-l" or something similar?  Where you can receive general
> announcements about things like Wikimania, upcoming elections, changes
> in board membership/leadership, and other significant issues of interest
> to the larger community?
>
> There is more than one way to deal with this issue.

Most of the people that would sign up to such a list are already
signed up to various mailing lists. The fact that it is low-traffic is
not likely to result in many more people signing up (it will probably
result in fewer people unsubscribing later, though). I think people
generally sign up to mailing lists if they find out about them and are
interested in the subject matter. The level of traffic doesn't usually
play a part until they come to decide if they should remain signed up.
I doubt many people that aren't already subscribed to one of the many
mailing lists (all of the ones I'm subscribed to have seen election
related content) would even find out about a new list without some
kind of major publicity. A simple check box would be much more likely
to get people on board.