[Foundation-l] Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 21:07:28 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>
>> You may find below the Declaration I received. Note that it is a draft
>> and will probably undergo many many more changes before being somehow
>> included in a final official statement. Still, I believe it stands as a
>> relevant document, and even though it does not contain all what we wish
>> to see, it certainly recognises a great deal of the things which are so
>> important to us, as wikimedians.
>>
> It's a very interesting document that at least shows that some people
> are paying attention to some of the issues that will be of serious
> concern over the next number of years.
>
> One question that it apparently fails to address is the relationship
> between  these developments and intellectual property law.
>
> Ec

Exact.
This was also discussed during the session. I believe most participants
did not really understand what a free license was. Many participants
were part of the private sector, and largely content producers.
Protecting the content they had produced was a significant part of their
concern.

I think that given the nature of participants, the end results definitly
show an interest and understanding of our concerns.

Also, see
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=17589&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

One point that I regretted not to see in the outcome (I mentionned it)
is the fact most participants considered the nature of the teacher
should also change and in particular that we should move away from a
situation where many teachers are hired to teach at 20 years old, for
the rest of their life, without any "real life" experience. This is in
large part why our universities in France at least, are stuck in
educating students to become researchers or teachers, much more than
they are educating students to become managers, accountants, salesmen,
developers, or architects. I would hope that in the future, more
fluidity is possible and a focus be put on hiring teachers who have had
professional experience in more than just teaching...

A point which was mentionned in the first draft, but now appears pretty
much hidden under poorly defined terms, is the possibility to
standardize curriculum vitae - so that hiring an Executive Director in
France recover the same time of requirements and experience than in the
USA - currently, many titles do not recover from one nation to another,
making it doubly difficult for people to be hired in other countries.
This will naturally also need a sort of standardization of diplomas, so
that again, citizens can be hired more easily for the same job in
another country.
But also... maintaining a curriculum vitae which would not be written
only by the person itself, but also by others. Right now, when we hire
someone, it is frequent to ask contact of previous co-workers, so that
we can collect information about the person, from another point of view.
Why not set up a sort of wiki-curriculum vitae, where the resume is not
only written by the person, but by the co-workers, who can leave their
comments. This is also the type of service one can find in social network.

Ant