[Foundation-l] Ombudsman Commission: Verification of checkuser results

Nathan Carter cartmanau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:19:20 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Dmcdevit <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:

> I doubt most people are aware that that commission exists, actually but,
> as a checkuser myself, I would ask you 1) Why you are going about
> verifying disputed results? The Ombudsman Commission exists to
> investigate *privacy violations,* not as oversight on interpretation of
> checkuser results for a project with 17 local checkusers, any of which
> can double check a disputed result if need be. Has there been a privacy
> violation?

There has been a *possible* privacy violation. The Ombudsman Commission
according to meta can investigate "cases of such policy breach or CheckUser
abuse for the board in an official manner". Pretty much, I need to know why
the IP of a user was published without their consent. One has been editing
anonymously while another hasn't.

 2) The Ombudsman Commission has an en.wp checkuser as one of
> its members. Why are you asking here instead of asking him?

Because the user you are referring to has not replied.

3) If it is
> the case that you are investigating a disputed result, which strikes me
> as odd, is there some special cause for concern? Have you talked to the
> checkuser involved yet?

Of course I have, as I have in the past.
Cheers,
Nathan Carter.