[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:39:21 UTC 2007

Which country is this a reference of?

GFDL license uses very careful wording and any translation will not be able
to fully reflect it. Translations of GFDL are in breach of GFDL and can only
be used unofficially as per GFDL itself. This is legally binding.

Any court will accept foreign text (though they will let a licensed expert
or two translate it for them so they have a clue what the license is about)
but the legal case would be based on the wording as it appears on the
English wording of GFDL. That is what we mean by legally binding.

In addition any such legal case would most likely be an international
copyright dispute at which there are international treaties governing how it
is to be conducted. No sensible court will dismiss a copyright statement in
a foreign language.

    - White Cat