[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Brand Survey Analysis

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 23:45:24 UTC 2007

Hello,

Let me provide a very short set of comments regarding the trademarks
registration strategy.

First, I'd like to mention that we are actively registrering some of our
brands. It is not a large spectrum registration (too expensive) though.

In the past, this was clearly and publicly reported on meta. This was
stopped perhaps a year ago or more, along with the publishing of domain
names information on meta, essentially because it was making life of
squatters much easier.

Our trademarks registration is not confidential and obviously, anyone
looking for this information, will find it. There is no reason to force
any of you to lose time looking for it. So, if someone wants to know
which one is and which one is not registered, please drop me an email.
I'll add that I tried in the past months to regularly keep the internal
community informed of this. Again, not because they are special people,
but rather because chapters need this information and because we can not
just plain publish all that stuff on a public list.

The lawyer in charge of most (but not all) of our registrations are
Hugot (http://www.hugot.fr/uk/index_uk.html). He provides us with
memorandums from time to time, to keep us informed of updates (new
registrations and battles won).

Currently, our strategy is mostly to protect Wikipedia, as the most
valuable mark, but all marks are registered or in registration process
at least in one country.
The preferred countries are those where there is already a chapter and
those where it is pretty obvious a "commercial" activity might develop
around Wikipedia.
I got estimates for larger protection, but considered the overall price
to be unreasonable *right now*. Total amount if no trouble was 100 000
euros (130 000 dollars ?). I do consider the level of protection it was
giving is something we should do in the next few months, but not all in
july... We might also run into oppositions, which are costly.

Also, remember that a mark does not need to be registered to be a mark.

As a side note, because it was recently mentionned. Only text was
registered (project names), not logo. So, it is not an issue to change
any logo right now, either in a major fashion or to fix minor errors. I
would even suggest it is a good idea to do it NOW :-)

ant