No subject

Sun Jan 7 16:43:09 UTC 2007

:::So, any change in that respect must be reflected in all languages (I
:::presume the cutoff at 15 or 45 could be negociable depending on
:::communities, but the concept of having a cutoff should be global).

I read that and came away with:

a) the basic way in which we give out permissions, 'a user of type X
can do Y things', should be consistent across all projects; but

b) *but* the details of quite where any project draws the boundaries can vary

So "a normal user should be able to edit all pages", say, should be
the same everywhere. "A normal user should be able to edit
semi-protected pages and move pages, after some threshold, but not
edit protected ones" should be the same everywhere.

But little details like what constitutes a "threshold", or the like,
can vary - age of the account? age since first edit? number of edits?
a combination? what's a viable number for either - five days/twenty
edits? Likewise, the exact requirements for becoming an admin or
deleting an article inevitably vary across projects, but the idea of
"there will be a vague set of standards and consensus among those
discussing it" is constant.

(As an aside, if we're talking uniform behaviour across wikis, now
would be a good time to rediscuss the IP-page-creation policy on
enwp...)

> In that case, I would like to add that the move page functionality should be
> given to both users with a certain time of existance, but also to sysops.
> That is because of the stewards, reverting vandalism on small wiki's then.

Valid point. Any technical issues with this?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk