[Foundation-l] Sigh, problems with non-Latin usernames again

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 17:29:52 UTC 2007

--- GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the definition on the English Wikipedia, this is discrimination
> pure and simple. It is an horrible idea. I am disgusted by it.

This needs to be handled with some common sense.

Wikipedia editing is collaborative and done in the context of a community.
Accordingly, anyone who contributes to the English Wikipedia in such a way that
non-trivial interaction with other editors is required should be configured so
that there's:

1) Some way to track that user using a Latin name (or even number) through page
histories and such.
2) a Latin component to their signature.

It doesn't matter how this is implemented, but this should be a stipulation in
en policy. Otherwise it's infeasible for your average en Wikipedian to
recognise and distinguish amongst non-Latin users.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com