[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 15:53:50 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <anthere at anthere.org> wrote:
>

>>As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
>>resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>>You'll find the entire list here:
>>http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>

> Excellent selections!
>
> What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?
>
> I'm wondering on the issue of setting up an "editorial concerns"
> channel for English Wikipedia, our vastly successful and troublesome
> child. Mathias Schindler floated the idea after the Microsoft press in
> the past few days and I repeated the suggestion on Friday.
>
> I can't say I'm having great success or a wave of people going "Hell
> yes, that's a great idea! I'll volunteer to help monitor that!"
> Evidently I'm just not using something that the cats think is tuna.
> HELP NEEDED.
>
> Having an editorial concerns channel is I think an obviously nice idea; how to
> deal with the likely flood of crap^Wless valid concerns and the lack
> of a wave of volunteers going "hell yes, I'll watch it" is another
> matter. How would this remarkable selection of social website experts
> suggest we attract and keep the volunteers for it? I'm at a loss.
>

> - d.

Angela accepted to be the chair of the advisory group.
There is for now a mailing list where we can be sure to post and get
their attention, without them being flowed by the amount of information
coming to that list.

I let it to Angela to see how she prefers to get them involved for
community matters. It may be to propose them to join the foundation
list. It may be to only tell them to register (so that they can post),
but not received the emails (which can be seen on archives, this is what
I do myself thanks to thunderbird and gmane). It may be to warn them on
the advisory list of a discussion on the foundation which may be of
interest to them. It may be to make them get in touch with specific
people or specific groups of interest.
There are many options there and no reasons to limit ourselves.

I think Angela can make the decision of what she thinks is best
depending on circonstances.

The board has already been in contact with several of them. Sometimes
the discussion was only through private emails. Once a person joined the
board retreat. In another case, we set up a private wiki to work on
together. There is no limits to our imagination :-)

ant