[Foundation-l] need assistance for spam blacklist

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 03:04:17 UTC 2007

I tried the spam blacklist and looking at recent changes, but the response
on meta is still slow.

I'm new to IRC, trying to figure out what various channels are, and get the
hang of it.  According to Wikipedia, "
mIRC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRC>is the most popular IRC client
on Windows based systems
[ *citation needed* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources>]."
Is this true?

I have looked over the list of channels,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_channels  #wikimedia seems like the place
to get hold of foundation/metawiki folks, though I see little activity
there.

Also have seen discussion on enwiki about the IRC admin channel, and really
don't get it.  Are there really any benefits of joining that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/IRC_admin_channel

And, what do you mean by "!admin"?  the admin channel? or is that some IRC
command?

I'm generally tech savvy, but perhaps somewhat older than most folks on
wikipedia.  Trying to find my way on IRC and figure it out is intimidating,
as is the discussion on the admins noticeboard.  So, apologies if these
sound like dumb questions. :)

-Aude

On 1/26/07, Sean Whitton (Xyrael) <sean at silentflame.com> wrote:

> IRC is pretty efficient as !admin will grab people pretty quickly.
> Alternatively you could use recent changes and look at the folk who
> seem to be editing quite a bit, and see if they're sysops - it's
> likely.
>
> However, IRC is definately the best way.
>
> On 1/26/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Need assistance from any meta admin available to add two sites to the
> spam
> > blacklist
> >
> > See:
> >
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Spam_blacklist#supermortgagerate.info_and_besttradelink.info
> >
> > On enwiki, there is a proxy spammer right now, spamming links with an
> edit
> > summary "Online Forex Trading - Free Practice Account - All Resurse"
> >
> > For example:
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Norwest&curid=3346024&diff=103386601&oldid=100720621
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Noel_Ahern&curid=1387412&diff=103386365&oldid=90258330
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nonrecourse_debt&curid=2844943&diff=103386260&oldid=61231347
> >
> > Is there is a faster way to get track down a meta admin?  I don't have
> IRC
> > here and not sure who hangs out there anyway.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Aude
> >

> --