[Foundation-l] WikiGadugi Wikipedia Rating???

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Jan 22 21:26:35 UTC 2007

Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>>I'll defer here to Brad in terms of strict legal requirements, but I
>>fail to see how it is a violation and abuse of trademarks to cite
>>Wikipedia as the source of the material, in a bibliographic reference.
>>Or that you even need permission to do this sort of citation.  Indeed,
>>I would think it to be a violation of the GFDL on the part of the WMF to
>>even require permission in this manner, as it would then be legally
>>impossible to comply with the GFDL when giving this content to a 3rd party.
>>
>>You should not have to seek permission from the WMF or anybody on
>>Wikipedia in order to copy content from Wikipedia.  That is the whole
>>point of the GFDL.
>>

>It could potentially be trademark infrginement and trading on the
>goodwill of the foundation in certain situations. In any event, companies
>are not about civil disobediance. WMG needs permission or implied
>pemission in the form of a statement by he Foundation that use if its
>valuable trademark rights is granted for purposes of attribution through
>the use of its trademarks.
>
>Apolicy page on wikimedia.org would probably address any issues on this
>topic.
>
>Jeff

Note that what I said here was a bibliographic reference to Wikipedia.

Where the trademark infringement comes from is something like the sorts
of publications done by Wikipress (see
http://www.wikipress.de/Hauptseite)  These have the words "Wikipedia"
spelled out boldly on the title page, implying some sort of strong
connection to Wikipedia.  These are IMHO uses of WMF trademarks that
perhaps ought to be used with formal permission.

If instead you have inside the "many thanks to" page of a published book
a mention of Wikipedia and noting that the information came from there,
I don't see where the problem comes here.  Or better still if you list
on a formal bibliographic reference list of where the content came from,
having Wikipedia listed near the top of the list in perhaps even a
featured position on the list as a major source of the information.
 That shouldn't be a problem.  I hope the WMF doesn't take issue when
WMF trademarks are used in this fashion.  For a web site something
either on a special "About" page or as a "fine print" at the bottom of
the page noting that the content came from Wikipedia originally would
IMHO be essentially the same thing.

An infringing use would be to completely reproduce a Wikipedia page,
completely with the "meatball" logo and be designed to look identical in
all other ways to Wikipedia pages, making no distinction between
Wikipedia and your copy.  Unfortunately some people have done exactly
this, even with very similar URLs that are very similar to Wikipedia,
but with all kinds of advertisement all over all of the pages.

What is interesting in the GFDL is that there is a "title clause" that
actually *requires* the use of the title in the publication that is
republished via permissions granted through the GFDL.  How exactly this
relates to Wikipedia is very vague, and statements by the WMF have
muddied the waters even more in an attempt to try and protect the WMF
trademarks.

As I've noted, the name "Linux" is also trademarked in a fashion that
presumably "Wikipedia" is also intended to be used.  The one huge
difference here, however, is that the WMF is trying to capitalize on the
use of the term "Wikipedia" for fund raising activities, while Linus
Torvald doesn't seem to care all that much, and is mainly holding the
trademark to keep it from being claimed by some other 3rd party.  I
guarentee that many people are using the term "Linux" without even
consulting or talking with Linus.

 From an ethical standpoint, it seems very responsible to note clearly
where the original source of the material came from.  And the only
reasonable way you can do that is to use a WMF trademark such as
"Wikipedia", even if the name appears only in the URL.

The issue about seeking permission from the WMF in order to do
bibliographic reference is that by requiring premission, it invalidates
the GFDL.  The content reverts to a strong propritary copyright, which
simply can't be copied unless you have formal permission from all of the
authors of that content.  On the pratical side, it makes it impossible
to reproduce the content at all.  Presumably it could also get the WMF
into problems as the content was given to the WMF (on their server
farms) under the terms of the GFDL, so it couldn't even be displayed at
all unless the WMF also has independent authorization (aside from the
GFDL) to publish the content.

--
Robert Scott Horning