[Foundation-l] Diversity and NC images - Board meet

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jan 15 02:02:27 UTC 2007

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>Hoi,
>If you want the board to pronounce its opinion, I would be utterly and
>utterly surprised when the official position is anything but a
>resounding NO to non commercial stuff. In diplomacy they say that you
>should not ask a question if you cannot life with the answer. I can, but
>can you ?

I apologize for agreeing with you again. :-)

It frequently happens that someone asks for a Board ruling on some
debateable issue.  They tend to be confident that they are right and
that the Board will agree with them.  They are sometimes disappointed.
Every such official proclamation has implications that may not be
obvious to the person making the request.  The Board should not be
making editorial policies unless it has no other choice.  Saying that we
must all follow NPOV is one thing, but trying to provide a lot of
detailed rules to define what it means may be contrary to NPOV.

Ec