[Foundation-l] Diversity and NC images - Board meet

rfrangi at libero.it rfrangi at libero.it
Sun Jan 14 22:58:01 UTC 2007

> Daniel Mayer wrote:
> So even though our non-profit status may allow us to use NC image, others who use our content for
> commercial purposes would need to constantly remove non-free images. And *that* makes it
> needlessly difficult for others to use and enjoy our work.

If I take the contents of the english Wikipedia and I want to reuse them commercially in Italy, I have to remove all fair use images. And *that* makes it needlessly difficult (?) for me to use and enjoy our work. So for me the use of fair use images goes against the spirit if not the letter of the FDL.

Also (IANAL too) GFDL allows me to create derivative works, I don't know if I can take an image that is fair use and modify it. I think it's not possible and if this is the case, this as well goes against the spirit if not the letter of the FDL.

And to state it clearly once again, I'm against fair use *AND * NC's.

But if the point is that only US subjects should not have the problem of removing the bits of content that are not in accord with thier laws, please state it clearly.

Roberto (Snowdog)