[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Arne Klempert klempert at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 21:25:30 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
> The biggest error I see here is that people are trying to limit language
> versions of Wikipedia so that they comply with the laws of the country
> where the language is primarily spoken. But that's fruitless.

No it's necessary, if we want to create *free* knowledge.

In an ideal world our content would comply with any law in any
country. Of course this is almost impossible, so we have to make
decisions, which laws are important to comply with and which aren't.
And in some cases these decisions depend on language. To give you an
example: IMHO it's fundamentally important to our mission that the
content of the German Wikipedia complies at least with German,
Austrian and Swiss law. Because these are the countries where the
content is going to be used by third parties most likely.

Arne