[Foundation-l] Diversity and NC images - Board meet

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 13:47:38 UTC 2007

--- luke brandt <shojokid at gmail.com> wrote:
> err... to say that "Wikipedia is the Free encyclopedia" begs the
> question "What do we mean by 'free'?" The GFDL is not the most 'free'
> license, many say. And many also say it isn't the most suitable license
> for a wiki either. Isn't it also true that NC is primarily about
> rejecting commercial exploitation, a point particularly relevant, one
> would have thought, where people are giving their time and expertise
> (such as it is) pro bono publico? - Thanks, luke

Free means free to do just about anything you want with the material so long as proper credit is
given and those modifications are given the same freedoms. Even though images can be considered
separate works on the web, having non-free/NC ones in an article would prevent that article's use
in a commercial product.

And the freedom granted in the GFDL *specifically* mentions the freedom to use GFDLd material
commercially. So the use of NC images goes against the spirit if not the letter of the FDL. Also,
there is also at least some doubt as to whether images can, in a legal sense (again, IANAL), in
fact be considered separate works in all circumstances from text.

So even though our non-profit status may allow us to use NC image, others who use our content for
commercial purposes would need to constantly remove non-free images. And *that* makes it
needlessly difficult for others to use and enjoy our work.

That is why the foundation has a strict policy against using any image or other media that has
non-free aspects.

I'm sorry, but this policy is set in stone and will not change; there is a constant open season on
NC and other non-free images. No one wiki community can decide otherwise and any wheel war that
results will invariably favor the admins who are following this policy and sanction those that are
actively using their admin powers to fight against it.

-- mav