[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jan 11 19:58:35 UTC 2007

Marco Chiesa wrote:
> Brianna Laugher wrote:
>
>> No projects allow NC, do they? English Wikipedia hasn't allowed them
>> for some time.
>>

> The Italian language wikipedia allows a plethora of  licenses for
> images, included NC, copyrighted with permission (we ask the copyright
> owner to mail OTRS for this) and some cases of fairuse as allowed by the
> Italian law. We do also allow PD images with are not allowed on commons.

I am sorry to hear this, because this is a violation of Wikimedia
Foundation policy.  From day one, we have been the *free* encyclopedia.

The Italian community needs to work out a transitional policy to correct
this problem... it will take time and a lot of work, and you will have
to be gentle with people, but it is just not acceptable to have those
images in wikipedia in the long run.

--Jimbo