[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jan 9 13:27:50 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anthony schreef:
> > Ant didn't say anything about the issues which were delayed being
> > *necessary*.  Framing it that way seems unfair.
> >
> Hoi,
> Anthere is quiet explicit: "Limited means we'll go delaying certain
> issues". It means that things that are deemed to be necessary by the
> board will be postponed.

Well, I don't see where you're getting the fact that those "things"
were "deemed to be necessary by the board".

> In my opinion it is unfair that you do not
> accept that the lack of funding inhibits what the Wikimedia Foundation
> is able to do.

I do accept that.  Well, probably.  It's always possible that the lack
of funding will instead cause the Wikimedia Foundation to spend its
money more intelligently.  For instance, instead of continuing to
acquire brand new $3000 servers they might instead choose to rent less
expensive ones.  That wouldn't inhibit anything.  But that's more of
wishful thinking than a real prediction.

> It is quite obvious that lack of funding is holding us back.

"Lack of funding" (failure to reach an arbitrary goal) is certainly
going to hold some people back from whatever it is they would have
otherwise done with the money.  That's quite obvious.  What effect
it's going to have on the foundation is much less clear.  In fact, it
doesn't seem to have been decided just yet.

Anthony