[Foundation-l] Mission/Vision Statement

James Hare messedrocker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 19:55:16 UTC 2007

The problem with advertising on Wikipedia is that it presents a conflict
with our real mission: to provide neutral information to the peoples. In
contrast, the goal of advertising is to feed one-sided information to people
in a very flashy way. Showing only half the picture is what leads to
conflict: people think Americans are ignorant pigdogs when there are some
very intelligent Americans. Keyword-based ads would be terrible in this
sense: in an article about fertilizers, if there is a Miracle-Gro ad, it is
giving them unfairly better representation.

Now, we could counter this by linking to the relevant Wikipedia article
-next- to the advertisment. What if something non-notable were to be
advertised? Then there would be no article...