[Foundation-l] [Wmfcc-l] News flash: WMF is a charity!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 13:29:43 UTC 2007

[cc to wikien-l, wikipedia-l and foundation-l - this is why the text
on the bottom of each page on en:wp is suddenly a bit longer ... I
shoulda found the MediaWiki message in question a month ago!]

On 08/12/06, florencedevouard <anthere at anthere.org> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>>On 07/12/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>I want to get your ideas on how we can take this message forward as part of
>>>our PR blitz for the fund drive.  As I think back to the Atlantic and New
>>>Yorker pieces, and even Mick Brown's piece, "the good ones" - "charity"
>>>wasn't really an emphasis.  We have been a "phenomenon" - but not a
>>>phenomenal charity.

> >The message at the bottom of every page of English Wikipedia says:
> >"Wikipedia(r) is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc."
> >How about:
> >"Wikipedia(r) is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation,
> >Inc., a US-registered 501(c)3 tax-deductible nonprofit charity."
> >Or something like that.

> You got it right David !
> With a link under us-registered 501 :
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations

This is actually a Mediawiki message, [[MediaWiki:Copyright]] - so
anyone with admin access on a given wiki can change it once we have a
translation.

I've just put the above text (with link) on en:wp since Florence
approves of it. If the wording is not *precisely* legally correct,
could Brad or Danny please correct it promptly!

The text I've placed (a curious mix of wikitext and plain HTML) is:

All text is available under the terms of the <a class='internal'
href="{{localurl:Wikipedia:Text of the GNU Free Documentation
License}}" title="Wikipedia:Text of the GNU Free Documentation
License">GNU Free Documentation License</a>. (See <b><a
class='internal' href="{{localurl:Wikipedia:Copyrights}}"
Wikipedia&reg; is a registered trademark of the <a
href="http://www.wikimediafoundation.org">Wikimedia Foundation,
Inc.</a>, a US-registered <a class='internal'
href="{{localurl:501(c)}}" title="501(c)(3)">501(c)(3)</a> <a
href="http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations">tax-deductible</a>
<a class='internal' href="{{localurl:Non-profit organization}}"
title="Non-profit organization">nonprofit</a> <a
href="{{localurl:Charitable organization}}" title="Charitable
organization">charity.<br />

Note the links to [[501(c)]], [[Non-profit organization]] and
[[Charitable organization]] as well.

> Also, on Foundationwiki, at the bottom, we have "About Wikimedia Foundation"
> Instead, we can change it in "[[About Wikimedia Foundation|Wikimedia
> Foundation]] is a us registered blablabla

Wiki admins and translators, please? The essential message is that
this is a charity, not a for-profit company.

- d.