[Foundation-l] This is not an Advertisement @ pgunn

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Tue Jan 2 08:46:16 UTC 2007

Andre Engels wrote:
> No, it won't go on exactly as before. Before it was said that there would
> never be advertisements on Wikipedia projects.

Even if someone said that at one time (certainly in an unofficial
capacity), Wikimedia does not operate off precedent; it operates to
achieve free knowledge. And sometimes, the circumstances for doing that
change.

However, going way back thorough Wikipedia's history, it's evident that
there's always been speculation about the need for sponsorship. Some
messages were vague, alluding to expected funding problems. Some were
more explicit, stating, "Someday, there will be advertising on
Wikipedia."* Thankfully, that's not the case.

But I think it's a mischaracterization to say there's been an ongoing
promise never to have sponsorship or anything similar to advertising.
Please don't confuse public expectation with promises.

David

* See:
http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Wales/Advertising_on_Wikipedia