[Foundation-l] This is not an Advertisement @ pgunn

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Tue Jan 2 07:02:06 UTC 2007

Though I'm glad you're sticking around, I'm sorry to hear your
discontent with current fundraising practices. Unfortunately, Wikipedia
(and other Wikimedia projects) now require significant money to run,
*far* more money than ever before:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/What_we_need_the_money_for

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't believe in genuine altruism. People,
charities, and companies give money for all sorts of reasons. A few
individuals might get their kicks giving anonymously, but they're not in
the majority. In most cases, the recipient of the donation is
responsible for giving the payload: public recognition that the donor is
a good person, charity, or company. Even the hard-hearted robber barons
of the 19th century eventually succumbed to a need for acceptance by
offsetting their misdeeds with visible, public charity.

The more we limit recognition opportunities, the more we limit potential
donors. I think the limits you suggest will not provide sufficient
support for Wikimedia.

Fortunately, recognition doesn't conflict with the real goal of
Wikimedia: spreading free knowledge. There's no foreseeable slippery
slope to sponsor control of Wikimedia's content. I've worked in
publishing for over seven years, and I have yet to hear an advertiser
comment on content. I'm also on the board of directors for Texas Student
Publications, possibly the largest college media organization in the
world. I've been with Texas Student Publications for three years, and I
have never heard an advertiser request a content change. Finally, *even
if* a sponsor requested a content change, Wikimedia is far more likely
to tell them to buzz off if Wikimedia is financially healthy. The key is
diversity of sponsorship, not restriction of it.

The other side to public matching is encouragement of community
donations. Community donors want to feel good about helping Wikimedia,
and having a visible matching sponsor lets them know that they'll have
twice the effect. I think recognizing the matching sponsor actually
amplifies that effect. Knowing who matches the donation makes it more
tangible.

But despite my respect for your objection, I don't think anyone owes you
an apology.

David