[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Job: Volunteer Coordinator

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 28 21:52:30 UTC 2007

If you've devoted much of your life to the Wikimedia Foundation and
its projects, and you enjoy interacting with our international
community, this is an opportunity for you to turn your hobby into a
profession. Effective immediately, the Wikimedia Foundation is looking
for a Volunteer Coordinator who will lead in opening up new
opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the mission and
day-to-day work of the Foundation.

Ideally, you will work in the Wikimedia Office in St. Petersburg,
Florida. Please also specify whether you would prefer part-time or
full-time work.

Please send applications, including a Curriculum Vitae, to:
<jobs at wikimedia dot org>.

== Responsibilities ==

As Volunteer Coordinator, your responsibilities will include:
* maintaining a global, public list of tasks across different work
areas, through communicating with committees/officers, which would
indicate which areas need volunteer work the most critically at any
given time.
* advising the Board and ED during the setup of new volunteer groups
and committees
* ensuring that all volunteer groups in the WMF are operational and
reporting their activities on a regular basis; evaluating performance
(cat herding experience and international diplomacy skills will help ;-)
* being a first personal point of contact for people who wish to do
volunteer work for the organization, but don't know where to start
* organizing and advertising regular online events and tutorials to
educate people about different areas of volunteering
* reporting when existing volunteer groups such as committees or
workgroups are apparently dysfunctional, and recommending structural
changes where needed
* collecting and documenting best practices for volunteer management,
partially based on communicating with other non-profits and studying
research on the topic
* representing Wikimedia at events where we might find useful
volunteers from a specific background.

In short, you will be responsible for achieving what is absolutely
critical for the long term sustainability of the Foundation: involving
volunteers in every part of our mission.

== Prior experience ==

You should have some familiarity with the Wikimedia Foundation, its
processes, and its projects (Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource,
Wikimedia Commons, and so on). Prior experience in online and real
world volunteer organizing is a definite advantage, as is work
experience in project management, scheduling, and communications.

Please send applications, including a Curriculum Vitae, to:
<jobs at wikimedia dot org>.

If you have questions about this job description, please respond on
the list or to me privately. Feel free to forward this message to other
lists.

Erik Möller
Executive Secretary, Wikimedia Foundation