[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] mwdumper does not work

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Feb 27 19:51:41 UTC 2007

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>I must have imported enwiki 3-dozen times over the last two weeks on two
>physically separate machines. I've been thoroughly testing raw import
>speed with mwdumper/MySQL under BSD 6.2 with/without DMA enabled, IDE
>drives, SATA drives, and a myriad of other combinations.

Different OS.   I am running Linux with FedoraCore 5.   I think its
related to
java incompatibility and/or mysql issues with Federal Core 5.  The php-mysql
and a lot of other subsystems were changed in the Linux distros due to
licensing
issues with the MySQL code moving forward.

>It works great. You're doing something wrong if it isn't working.

That's a stretch to say, since we are dealing with different OS's.    I
have purged out
the endb database completely and I am re-running the entire mwdumper
test with Rob's
UPDATE suggestions again.  The previous database had data leftover from
an importDump.php
run.  After the test completes, I will post the results.  I am farily
certain mwdumper has some
incompatiblity problems with the stock Linux Distributions as it has
been reported in a lot of places.

Since more people run Linux than BSD at present, it bears looking into
and getting fixed
and/or understood.  I am happy to devote time to getting to the bottom
of it for Rob
and Brion.

Jeff