[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] mwdumper does not work

David A. Desrosiers desrod at gnu-designs.com
Tue Feb 27 18:14:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:22 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> I completed running mwdumper with the following command last night.
> It took several hours to complete.   I aborted the previous
> importDump.php in order to run this test for you.  The wiki they were
> run against was en.wikigadugi.org.  The database name is endb.

As brion, robchurch, Simetrical, Duesentrieb, domas and others on irc
can attest... mwdumper works GREAT here for me.

I've made some small changes to mwdumper's code to facilitate some minor
speed tweaks out of it, but it happily imports
{en,de,fr,es,da}wik{iquote,ipedia,tionary} without any problems at all
so far. Once I'm satisfied with the speed, I'll add the remaining wiki*
pages and projects.

I must have imported enwiki 3-dozen times over the last two weeks on two
physically separate machines. I've been thoroughly testing raw import
speed with mwdumper/MySQL under BSD 6.2 with/without DMA enabled, IDE
drives, SATA drives, and a myriad of other combinations.

Here's what I'm doing with it:

	http://code.plkr.org/

Click "Research Projects" there and see what it looks like. Each
sub-section links to a full project page with more screenshots.

It works great. You're doing something wrong if it isn't working.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod at gnu-designs.com
Skype username: setuid
http://gnu-designs.com
”Always strive to silence the voices that oppose you."