[Foundation-l] a new free image!

James Forrester jdforrester at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:12:20 UTC 2007

On 24/02/07, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/24/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/24/07, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That's an good idea. I was also going to suggest, where
> > > people/projects want to use *some* fair use images, might it be an
> > > idea to somehow identify fair use images as such *within the article*
> > > - by, say, putting a coloured border around it and having a text that
> > > says "This image is not free - help us find one", and linking to a
> > > template or other page as is done in this case?
> > >
> > > Dunno..
> > >
> > > Cormac
> > >

> > This has been suggested but has never really got anywhere. You
> > couldn't quite patch it into the fromowner system because step 4 in
> > the upload instructions wouldn't work. You could set up a parallel
> > system. The Devs might not be too happy though.
> >

> Right - I was actually thinking of something that would be activated
> (for want of a better word) when including the image within an
> article. Couldn't it be a simple template that would include the image
> as well as the colours/texts around the image that indicate "fair use
> - not free"? True, this would mean it is up to the person including
> the image to see whether the image is free or fair use - but it could
> easily become standard practice.

A much technically neater solution, which doesn't rely on users doing
the right thing, is surely to have local files (all of which will be
tagged as non-free, as otherwise they'd be on Commons, post SUL) have
such "WARNING, BAD NASTY EVIL COPYRIGHTSNESS!" image CSS.

But this is, really, not the best place to be having such a
discussion; perhaps commons-l, or wikipedia-l (though other projects
use images too, obviously).

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester