[Foundation-l] RfC: Draft licensing policy resolution

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 02:12:15 UTC 2007

> On 2/20/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > All the projects that I have heard of implementing this experienced
> > BIG, significant drops in  upoads and copyvio uploads. Like, 1/2 as
> > many afterwards. That is a big saving in admin maintenance work, even
> > if you don't ever want to go to Commons-only. So I strongly recommend
> > it.
>
> I hate to see anyone from commons recommending this while we still do
> not have a handle on copyright violations on commons.
>
> Our goal should be a reduction in the percentage of uploaded copyright
> infringements wikimedia wide, and I've yet to see evidence that
> switching things to commons improves the situation.

I am not convinced that that is what happens (although neither of us
can prove either way). I think having the additional page, without the
upload form, encourages people to actually read what it says, instead
of skipping ahead to find the 'submit' button. Hopefully what happens
is, some free images go to Commons, some copyvios don't get uploaded
at all, some confused users get redirected to a Help desk, and overall
uploads are halved.

Also: we will never have a handle on copyright violations. on any
project, dare I say.
(That's not a reason not to strive for copyvio-free projects, of course.)

cheers
Brianna