[Foundation-l] RfC: Draft licensing policy resolution

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 01:41:20 UTC 2007

Effeietsanders hit on all the major reasons a project might want or
not want to move to Commons-only upoads. I do plan to write a guide on
Commons called something like 'Turning off local uploads', with advice
for projects about how to make this transition smoothly. But I haven't
written it yet.

For people who think Commons is 'not being nice'... please write to me
PRIVATELY and I will seriously do everything I can to solve problems
you have had or are having, and improve relations between your project
and Commons. I really consider that is very important for Commons and
will take what you say seriously. I am always open on that front.

Anyway, here is the first step towards 'Commons-only' uploads, for
those who are interested: point your upload link on the sidebar to a
page [[Project:Upload]] instead of [[Special:Upload]]. Then on this
page you can explain about source, licensing, copyright, direct people
to Commons if they want.

All the projects that I have heard of implementing this experienced
BIG, significant drops in  upoads and copyvio uploads. Like, 1/2 as
many afterwards. That is a big saving in admin maintenance work, even
if you don't ever want to go to Commons-only. So I strongly recommend
it.

Some projects who have done this:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aide:Importer_un_fichier
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Upload