[Foundation-l] The Chinese New Year Wikipedia Logo

Hsiang-Tai Chien htchien1225 at yahoo.com.tw
Fri Feb 16 14:21:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

According to this page (in Chinese):

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/search.php?q=%D7%C3

袓 has two literal meanings. One is "hobby", the other is "beauty of the white color" (hope I
translate it correctly).

Sometimes the character will be confused with 祖 because they look very similar. 祖 means
"ancestor".

I heart the character 袓 is been randomly chosen to be used on the Wikipedia logo. If this is
correct then I would be a little surprised because the meaning "beauty of the white color" is very
suitable for current Wikipedia logo.

H.T.