[Foundation-l] What is the difference between MediaWiki.org and the Meta-Wiki?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:18:02 UTC 2007

On 13/02/07, Virgil Ierubino <virgil.ierubino at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is obvious in many cases - MediaWiki.org has the manual... but then
> Meta has the extensions? ...or they're being moved to the former. But the
> latter also has "manual"-like elements. Where are you actually *meant* to
> document proposals? ...for new wikis on Meta, for software upgrades on
> MediaWiki, or just put it all on BugZilla? And... I'm confused.

The MediaWiki manuals were originally on Meta, but are slowly being
moved across to mediawiki.org .

(Sometimes a rewrite is needed, because Meta is GFDL but lots of
mediawiki.org is public domain or equivalent ("copyright but may be
used for any purpose" or equivalent).)

> Just, what are the actual distinct purposes of the two wikis? What kind of
> information should always go on one and never the other? Thanks.

Meta is for "meta" administrative and "where are we going?" stuff
pertaining to the operation of the Wikimedia wikis.

- d.