[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 11:06:31 UTC 2007

On 2/12/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
> geni wrote:
> > On 2/11/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
> >> Not only do I agree, but I believe a similar issue surrounds fair use.
> >> Accusations of U.S. centrism are indefensible when they're based on
> >> restrictive laws in non-U.S. countries.
> >>
> >> Now, that doesn't mean there aren't practical advantages to
> >> accommodating other countries' needs, but the lack of doing so is hardly
> >> "U.S. centrism."
> >
> > The problem with that is the logical end point of that position is the
> > move the foundation and servers to Iran.
>
> That's absurd. How does one go from "not changing to accommodate
> restrictive laws from other countries is not U.S. centrism" to "we must
> move our servers to Iran"?

You want minimum restrictions with regard to copyright that is the
correct course of action.

> I'm arguing that we should weigh the advantages of accommodating foreign
> restrictions

Try again this time try not to think so americano centric

>(further reach) with the disadvantages of changing the
> content (esp. censorship). If we happen to decide that accommodating a
> restriction isn't worth the changes to content, then we're still not
> guilty of U.S. centrism. Accommodating Iran's requirements is clearly
> out of the question.

So not copyright on items produced outside Iran doesn't appeal? Well
Ok then how about move commons to the UK? At least one type of item
enters the public domain there well before ti does in the US. Sure it
might be a good idea to win a Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp case
first but that should be doable.

> U.S. centrism is borne of ignorance or willful exclusion. Neither is the
> case here.

Then try and think why when dealing with the option of moving the
foundation to somewhere with the most liberal copyright laws on an
international mailing list why using the term "foreign restrictions"
isn't exactly ideal phrasing.

--
geni